30 Time-Saving Tips for WordPress Power Users
In today’s fast-paced world, our attention spans have significantly decreased. According to Statistic Brain, the average attention span has gone from twelve seconds to just eight since the year 2000. To put it into perspective, a goldfish has an attention span of nine seconds. As a result, we are constantly seeking ways to streamline our tasks and get things done quickly. This article will provide 30 time-saving tips for WordPress power users.
1. Declutter the Dashboard: Click on the “Screen Options” tab at the top of the page and select which meta boxes you want to see or hide.
2. Streamline New Post/Page Screen: Apply the same solution as above to the New Post/Page screen.
3. Automate Comment Moderation: Install and activate Akismet for the best spam protection. Then, uncheck unnecessary checkboxes on the Settings > Discussion screen.
4. Simplify Comment Management: Check new comments through the Comments tab in the sidebar or add the “Recent Comments” meta box to the Dashboard for easier access.
5. Save Time with Easy Tweet Embed: Use the Easy Tweet Embed plugin to save time when embedding pre-populated tweets within your posts and pages.
6. Use Keyboard Shortcuts: Instead of manually selecting headers from the drop-down menu, use keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl + Num (1-6) (PC) or Cmd + Num (1-6) (Mac).
7. Quick Link Creation: Press Ctrl + Shift + A (PC) or Opt + Shift + A (Mac) to create a link quickly.
8. Automate Old Post Promotion: Install and activate the Evergreen Post Tweeter plugin to automatically promote your old posts on Twitter.
9. Efficient Search and Replace: Use the Search and Replace plugin to replace links or specific words/phrases within multiple posts quickly.
10. Simplify Internal Linking: Instead of typing the entire URL in the “Insert/edit link” screen, enter the address after the trailing slash on the domain name.
11. Find Content Ideas: Install the Relevanssi search plugin and check the User Searches log to discover what your visitors want to read.
12. Automate Broken Link Detection: Install and activate the Broken Link Checker plugin to automate the process of finding broken links on your site.
13. Identify PHP Files: Use the What The File plugin to quickly find out which PHP files serve specific pages on your site.
14. Automate Trash Folder Emptying: Insert “define(‘EMPTY_TRASH_DAYS’, 10);” into your wp-config.php file to automate the permanent removal of posts and pages from the Trash folder.
15. Improve Load Speed: Check out W3 Total Cache to increase the load speed of your site.
16. Clone WordPress Sites: Use ManageWP’s site cloning feature to avoid setting up new WordPress sites with the same default settings and plugins repeatedly.
17. One-Click Updates: If you have multiple WordPress websites, create an account with ManageWP to utilize its one-click update feature for themes and plugins across all your sites.
18. Quick Plugin Installation and Updates: Plugin Central enables you to install and update plugins more efficiently.
19. Simplify WordPress Management: Consider using WPEngine to eliminate the management side of WordPress.
20. Track Analytics Easily: Install Jetpack and activate the WordPress.com stats module to track basic analytics data from your WordPress dashboard.
21. Automate Social Media Promotion: Use Jetpack’s Publicize module to automate the promotion of your new posts via Facebook and Twitter.
22. Save Time with Twitter Links: Automate the creation of links to Twitter usernames in your posts and pages with a simple code.
23. Simplify Image Importing: Use the Grab & Save plugin to import images directly into WordPress from their original URLs, eliminating the need to download and upload them manually.
24. Faster Image Insertion: The Faster Image Insert plugin makes inserting new images into posts and pages easier.
25. Reliable Backups: Invest in VaultPress for flawless backups and restores at just $5 per month.
26. Automate ALT and Title Tags: SEO Friendly Images automates the process of adding ALT and Title tags to each image you upload.
27. Create Redirect Links Easily: Install Pretty Link Lite to create redirect links directly from your WordPress Dashboard.
28. Generate XML Sitemaps: Use the Google XML Sitemaps plugin or the Yoast SEO Sitemap feature to create XML sitemaps with a single click.
29. Optimize Image Loading: WP Smush helps optimize image loading for faster website performance.
30. Compress PNG Images: Use the TinyPNG tool to create small, compressed PNG images without compromising quality.
These 30 time-saving tips for WordPress power users will help streamline your workflow and increase efficiency. However, this list is not exhaustive, and there may be additional tips that you use to save time in WordPress. Share your tips in the comments section below and let’s learn from each other!