Are you interested in starting a vlog but don’t know where to begin? Vlogging, or video blogging, has become increasingly popular over the last five years and can be a great way to build a following, promote your WordPress website, sell products or services, generate leads, or even make your fame and fortune. In this vlogging guide, we will discuss exactly what vlogging is, the benefits it can provide for you, your website, and your business, and provide step-by-step instructions on how to create a vlog, promote it on YouTube, and link it to your WordPress website.
What is Vlogging?
Vlogging is a video blogging trend that has taken off in recent years. It involves creating videos on a particular topic or niche, as opposed to written blog posts. While initially seen as a pastime for the younger generation, vlogging has become a great option for all ages.
Where Should You Vlog?
The majority of vlogging happens on YouTube, which has over 1 billion active users each month and is the second largest search engine after Google. Other channels that are popular amongst vloggers include Vimeo, Facebook or Facebook Live, and even Instagram. If you have a website, you should also publish your vlogs on your site. However, if you post to other platforms, always do so alongside YouTube as it has the largest audience.
The Benefits of Vlogging
There are multiple benefits to vlogging, making it an ideal pursuit for businesses and individuals alike. Some of the best pros include:
1. Fame and Fortune: Some of the most famous vloggers have accumulated hundreds of thousands of followers and made big bucks through advertising on their videos.
2. Reach a Wider Audience: Using YouTube as a platform for your vlogs enables you to reach a wider audience than if you just posted vlogs on your WordPress website.
3. Engage Directly With Your Audience: Vlogging enables you to engage directly with your audience, building trust and establishing yourself as an expert in your field.
4. Drive Traffic to Your Website: Many bloggers and businesses use vlogging to drive traffic to their website, as watching videos is fast becoming the norm and the preferred online media type.
5. Promote Your Membership Site, Sell Products, and More: Vlogs can be used as part of your marketing strategy to promote whatever your online site is selling.
How to Get Started as a Vlogger
To get started as a vlogger, consider your content and find a niche that interests you or is related to your WordPress website. Then, take your time deciding what content will be in your videos. Consider posting how-to videos, interviews, comedy sketches, or anything else that will be valuable or entertaining for your viewers. Once you have decided on your content, film your vlogs using a camera with high video quality and record them in a well-lit room to ensure they aren’t too dark. Edit your videos using free editing software tools such as iMovie for Mac or VSDC Video Editor for Windows. Add your website logo and calls to action to encourage viewers to visit your website. Finally, upload your video to YouTube.
Getting It Right on YouTube
To get it right on YouTube, create your own YouTube channel, add video metadata to each vlog you post, and use YouTube cards to add interactivity to your videos. Displaying your YouTube feed or most recent vlogs on your WordPress website is a great way to link the two platforms and encourage your site visitors to follow you on YouTube.
Final Thoughts on Vlogging
Building a vlogging fan base can take time, but if you follow the steps above, you will immediately be ahead of the competition. Remember to monitor your YouTube analytics to see what type of vlog content is resonating with your viewers. Good luck!